Yikes I can’t believe it has been 3 weeks since I last wrote! I have been working on some projects here and there but haven’t been able to keep up sewing, blogging and contract work as my contract work has kept me more than busy; but hopefully this cute jersey girl shirt was worth the wait!
Ok so I cracked
yesterday and ran out to Fabricland even though I have a ton of fabric and patterns sitting at home just waiting to be discovered. But since I had such success completing the Kwik Sew pants the other day my confidence was slowly starting to build so I wanted to grab another Kwik Sew pattern to play with.
I ended walking out the door with 3 Kwik Sew patterns and some more fabric – go figure.
I don’t have a whole lot of time
today as I should be working on other projects – not sewing related, but I picked an easy one. Or so what I thought would be an easy one…
The pattern I chose was Kwik Sew #3880 and I chose a really cute jersey cotton for it. I thought this would go nicely with the pants I had just made:)
The pattern is only 3 pieces so cutting out was easy which we know I am a huge fan of! The least amount of time crawling around the floor the better in my books.
As always Kwik Sew’s instructions were clear and simple and all was going smoothly expect the jersey cotton had two things working against me, 1) the large amount of stretch in the fabric and 2) the curling!!! Those that have worked with it know exactly what I am talking about.
For large areas the curling isn’t a huge deal as I am able to sercure things flat together with lots-o-pins, however in small items such as the neckline binding NOT SO MUCH. I was able to flatten the binding slightly with the iron but when it cooled enough for me to touch it it just wanted to curl all over again.
The pattern called to overcast the raw edges of the binding which isn’t really all that important with jersey cotton as it rolls instead of fraying but I thought if I did overcast it would help the fabric lay flat and would be easier to tack down…. I was WRONG…
As you can see from the photo above my binding looks horrible. I think my serger ate more than it should have! I have to admit the cutting was uneven as well so that didn’t help.
Ok so now what to do?!? How do I hem this crazy fabric???
I searched around my sewing room for something that may work, a fabric that was less curly that would match possibly? When I came across this lace binding that I had picked up awhile back for no particular reason. So I figured I have nothing to lose so I starting pinning the lace binding to my neckline (fingers crossed).
So lace sewed in place! I sewed it one the wrong side of the shirt fabric and once I was done doing that I realized that I probably should have sewn it to the right side of the fabric (amateur thinking there). Not wanting to attempt removing it and redoing, I serged it in place and was determined to make it work!!!
I then folded the lace over, so it was folded in half and tacked it down so you wouldn’t see it and…
IT WORKED! IT WORKED! IT WORKED!!!
I cannot believe it! My idea worked you have no idea the relief I am feeling right now 🙂
Now to do the same procedure with the armholes, shoulder holes and the hem…. breath….
Once I finished all of the above I ended up with quite a nice shirt in the end. Mom even loved it. Needless to say the pattern is now in her hands.
Hope you enjoyed and now if you ever encounter the same problem with jersey cotton you will know a way around it!